Me
  
  
  
  
  
  .: Family Photos
  .: Co-Workers
  .: The Phish Experience
Favorite Blogs
  .: Boker Tov Boulder
  .: Cara's World
  .: ENGAGE
  .: Fundamentally Freund
  .: Jewish Rants - Headlines
  .: Lazer Beams
  .: Little Green Footballs
  .: MOchassid
  .: Mystical Paths
  .: Psycho Toddler
  .: Shiloh Musings
  .: Velvel
Love to Hate
  .: Dov Bear
  .: Jewlicious
  .: Jewschool
  .: Orthodox Anarchist
Other Good Blogs
  .: Adam Davis
  .: Blog In DM
  .: Chicago Weight Watcher
  .: Cohen Head
  .: Eli's Travels
  .: Hassid and a Heretic
  .: Hasidic Gentile
  .: Jewish Fringe
  .: Life of Rubin
  .: Ocean Guy
  .: Only in Israel
  .: Rose's Story
  .: Rupaul's Blog
  .: The View From Here
Jewish Links
  .: Aish HaTorah
  .: Bang it out
  .: Breslov.com
  .: Breslov.org
  .: Breslov World
  .: Chabad
  .: CRC
  .: Frum.org
  .: IDF Israel
  .: Irgun
  .: Jewsweek
  .: Kahane!
  .: Kahane Audio
  .: Kfar Center
  .: Only Simchas
  .: Shabbos Times
  .: Shop Gush Katif
  .: Sichos in English
  .: Skokie Kollel
  .: Torah.org

<<
List
Jewish Bloggers
Join
Israeli/Jewish News
  .: Arutz Sheva
  .: Barry Chamish
  .: Debka
  .: Ha'aretz
  .: Israel Insider
  .: Jewish Press
  .: Jerusalem Post
News and Commentary
  .: Drudge Report
  .: Fark
  .: Fox News
  .: Jeff Jacoby
  .: Michelle Malkin
  .: The Reader
  .: Snopes
  .: World Net
Help
  .: PETA
  .: Anti-Cruelty Society
  .: C.A.R.E.
  .: REGAP (National)
  .: REGAP of Illinois
  .: I.M.P.S.
  .: Recycled Rotts
  .: Dr. Andrew Weil
  .: Circle Of Life
  .: The Ark
  .: Walid Shoebat
  .: Israeli MIAs
  .: Zachary Baumel
Other Links
  .: Abir Warrior Arts
  .: Ahikam Seri
  .: Ebaums World
  .: Survivor Official
  .: Survivor Fever
  .: Vendyl Jones
Music Links
  .: Blue Fringe
  .: Ben Harper
  .: Beyond Eden
  .: Chaim Dovid
  .: Diaspora Yeshiva Band
  .: Even Sh'siyah
  .: Grateful Dead Radio
  .: Hadag Nachash
  .: Heedoosh
  .: Jambands
  .: Jambase
  .: Matisyahu
  .: Matisyahu Fan
  .: Moshav Band
  .: Moshe Skier
  .: Phish Archive
  .: Piamenta
  .: Reva L' Sheva
  .: Seth Nadel
  .: Shlomo Carlebach
  .: Simply Tsfat
  .: Soulfarm
  .: Yidcore

Credits

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on Blogwise

Subscribe with Bloglines


Archives
current
03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004
07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004
08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004
09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004
10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004
11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004
12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005
01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005
02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005
03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005
04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005
05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005
06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005
07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005
08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005
09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005
11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005
 







         SklarO World                   Tela                      Pip                  Danny Boi             Sophie Girl                 Cole

~* About This Blog*~

This Blog was created by me and for me. I dont take suggestions and I dont really care what you have to say in regards to content or design of this Blog. As far as individual posts go, I would love to hear your opinions in the comment section (especially if your opinion is radically different then mine). I try to post often, but sometimes a week will go by where I am to busy to post anything.


~*Words*~

Thursday, August 19, 2004
  Coventry Report

Well....I'm back.
Coventry was quite an incredible experience. It was a serious physical and mental test from start to finish which I will explain in greater detail. Despite all of the elements, I am pleased that I was able to remain positive and happy throughout the entire journey.

So we planned to leave Wednesday night between 8 and 9. We left at 11:30 thanks to Pip who decided to go possum hunting for 2 hours.

We arrived in Monsey around 3:00 PM Thursday making for the longest drive to NY that I have ever taken. We all took showers and played with my wife's niece and nephews for a while. We then ate a large amount of food at Bubba's Bagels which was delicious.

I will not share all of the insane details about the ride to Coventry from NY because this post is already gonna be a long one. Getting into Coventry there are 2 options:

Interstate 91. This was the way Phish instructed everyone to come. Take the I91 North to exit 26 for Route 5 in Vermont. Naturally this way would be the wrong choice. Most likely over a day in line.
Rt.14. This is the choice that we took. Rt. 14 got us in a line that was 6 miles out of the venue. If we went with I91 we would have been 20 miles from the venue.

We ended up waiting 10 hours in line before we got in. So we arrived at Coventry On Friday afternoon around 2:30 PM. We had a spot next to a bunch of Jews that my buddy saved us which was about 1 block from the commons. My group was 6 people: Me, My wife, MKT, My friend Shpoyz, Shpoyz's wife Shpoozah, and two identical twins who are one of my old friends younger brothers (for the sake of anonymity we'll call them Cackle and Mouth).

The mud
It rained for 4 days straight at Coventry before we arrived, and it rained for the first day and first 2 nights after we arrived. There is no way to accurately describe the mud scene at Coventry. The pictures don't even give you the real feeling. Let me just say that the entire place was ankle to knee deep in the most disgusting mud imaginable. Our camp was somewhat hidden in the middle of 4 cars. The space was maybe 15 feet wide in either direction. The ground was ankle high, wet mud. The mud at Coventry wasn't just regular city mud that you are used to seeing, it was closer to a sewage mud. It smelled foul and lazy hippies were pissing and shitting in it. That's right, I said pissing and shitting. Not off to the side, or on a fence....they pissed everywhere that we were walking and sleeping. Someone shit 3 feet from my friends tent, and one of my friends used his front tire as a urinal. His front tire was 2 feet from my tent. So as far as shelter went, our place was perfect. We had a canopy over the entire area, and 4 tents (1 in each corner) with the openings to the tents under the canopy. We used 2 20x12 tarps to create walls around the canopy. No water was coming onto our tent from above. The only thing that was not perfect was the ground. The ground was ankle high mud with thousands of worms that came up from hell to squiggle around between our toes. We needed a floor if we were to remain comfortable. So I decided to put Cackle and Mouth to work. We went to the commons to try and find some wood to steal (borrow?). We found a mulch dumping site (a place where a steady stream of semi's full of mulch would dump). The mulch was for the vendors to lay down which would absorb the water and give you a stable surface to walk on. During the course of the next 24 hours we filled about 8 huge bags of mulch. I found 3 pallets in between to vendors tents in the commons. Mouth fucking walked off with 1 of them. Later, when I went on a mulch run with Cackle, I spotted a short palette that was approx. 8ft x 4 ft....perfect for our floor. Cackle grabbed it as I lugged 2 bags of mulch (about 80 pounds worth) back to the campsite. Our campsite was now officially the best of the mud sites. We had complete cover, a floor, and a porch.

The show
On the way to the venue, the lines took for ever because we had to walk through several different nasty surfaces:
The swamp. The swamp was the area surrounding our campsite. This was mostly knee-deep worm and frog infested piss mud. You had to walk about a block or two in this crap.
The runway. This was the main area called the Commons which was situated on the runway of the old Airport and was completely full of horseshit from the pigs on horses. The first day you could avoid the horseshit simple by walking around it. By the second day the shit was trampled and spread out everywhere.
The detour. At this point you could choose to walk over a line of destroyed wood slats or trample through the diarrhea mud. We chose the diarrhea mud.
The mulch. This was a mountain of mulch that I estimated to be about 2 feet deep that they poured over some mud to give us some sort of walkway. Thanks fuckers.
The hidden rocks. The hidden rocks was about a quarter of a block but by far the worst leg of the walk. It was regular nasty mud only there were tons of little rocks underneath which would cut and stab into your feet (most people were barefoot, including myself).
The slats. For some reason we had to trek through a row of sharp moving wooden beams. Painful.
After we finally found a spot way back on Page side, Phish came on stage at 6:15. They busted out with Walls of the cave which is one of the better new songs. By the end of the song we decided to move a few rows back and center because the sound was shit by us. Highlights of the first set for me were: Runaway Jim and Sample (two of my favorites), Gotta Jiboo (kick ass rockin version), Antelope, and Fire (my first Fire)
After the first set we went back to the campsite to get chairs and food. We were not going to do that trek between sets ever again. Not worth it.

The second and third sets were tiring. My wife and I were cold and tired from the days efforts. The rest of our crew was flying pretty high. Highlights: Halley's comet, The wedge (I always appreciate any Rift that they decide to play live), Drowned, and the final Hood encore. Guyute was week.

The next day my beautiful wife woke us with boots. The bastards were selling tall rubber boots for mud walking and my wife befriended the boot people and got half of our crew a deal on boots. So Shpoozah, MKT, my wife, and I each had boots. Today's show would be great. We were prepared.
The first set we were closer than the previous night. Phish came out about 15 minutes earlier than the previous day. They opened with the final Mike's Song> I am Hydrogen> Weekapaug Groove which rocked. Highlights: Reba (I loved this Reba), Wolman's (Try explained that Fish was the wolfman), Taste. The second set started to get pretty emotional. They opened with a killer Down with Disease which was jammed out beautifully that led into the largest glow stick war I have ever seen. This led into Velvet sea where Page proceeded to cry when it came time for him to sing the first verse. Let the tears flow. I doubt their was any person there, fucked up or not, who wasn't crying. Trey tried to cheer things up by going into Glide. Pitiful. The worst Glide I have ever seen. Instead of turning their Velvet sadness into Gliding joy, the rest of the band started to cry. After Glide Trey gave an emotional speech which he concluded with "I need to blow off some fucking steam!". They then delivered a powerful Melt into Ghost to end the set. Awesome.
Third set we moved up even closer into an available mud pit that nobody wanted to sit in. They opened the set with Fast Enough For You. Highlights: Seven Below, Simple, Piper, Wilson, Slave. Final Encore: The Curtain With.

The next day we got out of the venue in 2 hours. Including the time it took us to get towed out of the mud. Not bad.

Overall I will say that the last show musically was nothing to special. Emotionally, I need that show. It was a side of Phish that nobody has ever seen. I think that Phish and I both needed to have closure together. Thank you guys.

Check out Pauly's Coventry tale

The line

The campsite

The ground

The worms

The floor

The porch

The water source

The reason I didnt shit in 4 days

The commons


Getting pushed out

- posted by Prodly @ Thursday, August 19, 2004


Comments:
Gosh, after reading your account and seeing your pictures, I'm sooo sorry I missed it.
# posted by Blogger MoChassid : 10:57 AM
 


I would do it again in a heartbeat
# posted by Blogger Prodly : 1:26 PM
 


I have no doubts.
# posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 2:28 PM
 


Welcome back bitch. Why don't you put a clickable link on the comments page so one can jump back to the main blog page? Right now, you gotta click the back button on yer browser.
# posted by Blogger wops : 8:24 PM
 


Click on the picture of me at the top of the page.
# posted by Blogger Prodly : 9:13 AM
 


Wow! What an adventure! Glad to hear you had a great closing experience. I literally laughed out loud when I read "We chose the diarrhea mud".
One question: How were you guys washing your feet while you were there (b/4 you got the boots)?

# posted by Blogger roy : 10:21 AM
 


We weren't washing our feet. I got my feet cleaned once by using a shit load of hand sanitizer. After that, My boots stayed on.
# posted by Blogger Prodly : 10:28 AM
 


Post a Comment

© Copyright 2004 SklarO World. All rights reserved. -- Designed By: FF Warpzone And Prodly